About

The cottage where Sir John Barrow was born in 1764, and where he spent the first years of his life, will be open to the public from Easter until the end of October as follows: on Sundays from 1pm until 5pm, and on Thursdays from 11am until 4pm. In addition, special events are held at different times of the year.

It contains a small museum about Sir John Barrow’s life and career, from his childhood to exploring Africa and China, leading to his career as Second Secretary to the Admiralty from 1804 to 1845.

Sir John Barrow Cottage is owned by Ulverston Town Council, and leased from the Council by Greenlane Archaeology.